This tip comes from Frank Hodges, head technician at Sunstone Lab. He did not want to shell out a bunch of money for a benchmounted band bender, so he built this for under $10.00! Here are the pictures. The steps to make it are at the end.
1. Buy this hinge, carriage bolt, and self tapping lag bolts.
2. Remove the middle section of the hinge by taking out the hinge pin.
3. Grind the tip of the carriage bolt to a point, knock of the tops of the threads and then insert the bolt into the hinge (you will have to use a hammer).
4. Mount hinge in vise and then take a pry bar and set your clearance on bolt +1/8″
5. Mount to bench with lag bolts (ensure that you have moved it off the bench so you can easily slide the barstock through)
6. Take a hacksaw and cut off the barrel on the triangle aspect of hinge, this will become your pressure plate.
7. Contour and mount the pressure plate to fit your work bench.
8. Stand back and marvel that you just saved a bunch of money!